Margaret Teale’s Open Garden at St Boswells – Sunday, 23rd August
23rd August @ 11:00 am - 4:00 pm
We are delighted to confirm that Margaret and David Teale’s garden, at 18 St Cuthbert’s Drive, St Boswells, Roxburghshire, TD6 0DF will be open to visit on Sunday, 23rd August between 11am and 4pm.
Funds are being raised on behalf of both the Caley Glasshouse Fund and the MS Society.
As this is the Caley’s only garden visit this year, we hope you will support Margaret and David, and also take the opportunity to visit some of the other attractions in the local area.
Margaret and David moved into St Cuthbert’s Drive in December 2017 and began redesigning both the front and back gardens in September 2018. Planting began in spring 2019 and is still a work in progress, so advice and thoughts are most welcome. The size of the garden is modest, but please allow 40 minutes – this will give you time to have a cup of coffee/tea, sample the traybakes and give Margaret the benefit of your advice and experience!
Directions from Edinburgh. A68 all the way! Turn left at St Boswells at B6404 and 400 yards later turn right onto Jenny Moore’s Road. Landmark is the Village Hall. St Cuthbert’s Drive is first on the right and parking is available at the Rugby / Community Club, 100 yards further down Jenny Moore’ s Road.
Make the most of your visit to the Scottish Borders and visit some of the many attractions, walks and gardens near St Boswells.
- Abbotsford House: The gardens, visitor centre and Ochiltrees Café are open and there is an outside picnic space and outdoor catering from the Haggis Lunch box, situated in the garden. Admission to the gardens is £5. The Regency Garden Tour is also now available for us, starting at 11am and 2pm. Please contact Rona McDowall, email@example.com or 07572 308125 to reserve a space.
- Mainstreet Trading Company: The award winning independent bookshop in St Boswells may be open. Currently offering takeaway baking, coffee, tea, etc.
- Woodside Walled Garden Centre: Near Harestane’s Visitor Centre, north of Jedburgh. Outside cafe with very good baking.
- Milestone Garden Centre: At Newtown St Boswells, a mile and half north of St Boswells on the A68. Independent Garden Centre with cafe/restaurant.
- Melrose: Various attractions, 4 miles from St Boswells including Melrose Abbey, NTS gardens Priorwood and Harmony.
- For walkers: St Cuthbert’s Way can be accessed from St Boswells: A short walk along the Tweed at Abbotsford or from St Boswells. Dryburgh Abbey is only three miles away with nearby Scott’s view. Eildon Hills are also on the doorstep.
Please note the precautions being taken for everyone’s safety:
- The visit will be subject to the current government restrictions as at 23rd August and we encourage everyone to be familiar with their responsibilities for social distancing and hygiene.
- Before setting out please check the Caley website events page in case of any relevant updates. https://thecaley.org.uk/events/.
- Please stagger your arrival time if you can. Traditionally most visitors tend to arrive near to the start time. We need to have a more spread out flow of visitors and you can assist by arriving throughout the day. We can extend our opening time by arrangement if anyone wishes to come earlier than 11am or after 4pm. Please contact Margaret directly on 07711 506078.
- It will be possible for visitors to spread out and sit around the garden. To ensure there is no overcrowding, if we already have the maximum number of visitors at one time you will be notified on arrival. Please be ready to cooperate with any requests to delay your visit.
- Refreshments will be available.
- An indoor toilet with appropriate Covid-19 procedures in place will be available.
- Parking is restricted in St Cuthbert’s Drive. If it is very busy you can park at the Rugby Club.
- There is space in the drive for one car of a Blue Badge holder. Please phone to let us know when you will be coming.
- Please bring cash or a cheque. There is no fixed charge but you will be asked to put your donation into a bucket and change will not be available.